In the dynamic and challenging context of humanitarian work, effective Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) play a crucial role in ensuring accountability, improving program effectiveness, and maximizing impact. The position of MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Palestine offers a unique opportunity to lead MEL efforts and contribute to the organization’s mission of supporting refugees and displaced persons in the region. This comprehensive guide explores the multifaceted responsibilities, qualifications, benefits, and application process for the MEL Manager role, highlighting the importance of MEL in humanitarian work and the critical role played by the Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine.
Overview of the Position
As the MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine, you will be responsible for developing and implementing MEL frameworks, systems, and tools to monitor, evaluate, and learn from the organization’s programs and interventions. Your role encompasses a wide range of responsibilities, including designing and conducting assessments, managing data collection and analysis, facilitating learning processes, and documenting best practices and lessons learned. By ensuring the quality, relevance, and effectiveness of our programs, you enable us to better meet the needs of refugees and displaced persons and achieve our humanitarian goals in Palestine.
Importance of Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL)
In the fast-paced and complex environment of humanitarian work, MEL serves as a critical tool for ensuring accountability, transparency, and results. Monitoring allows us to track progress towards program objectives, identify challenges and opportunities, and make timely adjustments to our interventions. Evaluation enables us to assess the impact and effectiveness of our programs, identify lessons learned, and improve future programming. Learning ensures that we continuously adapt and innovate, drawing insights from our experiences and applying them to improve our practices and approaches. By investing in robust MEL systems and processes, we enhance our ability to respond effectively to the needs of refugees and displaced persons, maximize the impact of our interventions, and contribute to positive change in the communities we serve.
Brief Background of Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) in Palestine
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to supporting refugees and displaced persons around the world. In Palestine, NRC works to provide assistance and protection to Palestinian refugees and internally displaced persons, including access to shelter, education, livelihoods, and legal assistance. Through our holistic approach to humanitarian assistance, we aim to empower refugees and displaced persons to rebuild their lives, regain their dignity, and achieve self-reliance. By working in partnership with local communities, authorities, and other stakeholders, we strive to address the root causes of displacement and create sustainable solutions for those affected by conflict and displacement in Palestine.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Developing MEL Frameworks: You will be responsible for developing MEL frameworks, systems, and tools to guide the monitoring and evaluation of NRC’s programs and interventions in Palestine. This may involve designing logical frameworks, result chains, and indicator frameworks to clarify program objectives, outcomes, and outputs.
- Conducting Assessments: You will design and conduct baseline, mid-term, and end-line assessments to measure the impact and effectiveness of NRC’s programs and interventions. This may include quantitative and qualitative data collection methods, such as surveys, interviews, focus group discussions, and participatory approaches.
- Monitoring Program Activities: You will monitor program activities and outputs to track progress towards objectives and targets. This may involve developing monitoring plans, collecting and analyzing data on program activities and outputs, and reporting on progress to internal and external stakeholders.
- Collecting and Managing Data: You will be responsible for collecting, managing, and analyzing data from various sources, including program reports, surveys, assessments, and administrative records. This may involve developing data collection tools, training data collectors, and ensuring the accuracy, completeness, and integrity of the data.
- Data Analysis and Reporting: You will analyze program data to identify trends, patterns, and insights that can inform decision-making and programmatic planning. This may involve using statistical software and data analysis techniques to analyze quantitative data and conducting thematic analysis of qualitative data. You will also generate regular reports and dashboards to communicate findings to internal and external stakeholders.
Learning and Knowledge Management
- Facilitating Learning Processes: You will facilitate learning processes and knowledge sharing among staff and partners to promote a culture of learning and innovation within NRC. This may involve organizing learning events, workshops, and seminars; facilitating communities of practice; and documenting and disseminating best practices, lessons learned, and success stories.
- Documenting Best Practices: You will document best practices, lessons learned, and success stories from NRC’s programs and interventions in Palestine. This may involve developing case studies, success stories, and learning briefs to highlight achievements and share insights with internal and external audiences.
- Incorporating Feedback and Lessons Learned: You will work closely with program staff and management to incorporate feedback and lessons learned into program design and implementation. This may involve conducting reflection sessions, learning reviews, and after-action reviews to identify areas for improvement and adaptation.
To be eligible for the position of MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine, you should have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a relevant field, such as social sciences, international development, statistics, or a related field. A specialized degree or certification in monitoring and evaluation is highly desirable but not required.
You should have a minimum of [X] years of experience in monitoring, evaluation, and learning, preferably in a humanitarian or development context. Experience working with international NGOs, UN agencies, or other humanitarian organizations is highly desirable. Experience managing MEL systems and processes, conducting assessments and evaluations, and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data is essential.
- Strong Analytical and Problem-Solving Skills: You should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with the ability to analyze complex data sets, identify trends and patterns, and draw actionable insights.
- Proficiency in Data Management and Analysis Tools: You should have proficiency in data management and analysis tools, such as Excel, SPSS, Stata, or similar software. Experience with data visualization tools, such as Tableau or Power BI, is a plus.
- Excellent Communication and Interpersonal Skills: You should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences and work effectively in a multicultural team.
- Detail-Oriented and Organized: You should be detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively and maintain high standards of quality and accuracy.
- Commitment to Humanitarian Principles and Values: You should have a strong commitment to humanitarian principles and values, including impartiality, neutrality, independence, and humanity, and a desire to make a positive difference in the lives of refugees and displaced persons.
Working as the MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine offers a range of benefits, including:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Opportunities for professional development and career advancement
- Meaningful work contributing to the well-being of refugees and displaced persons
- Supportive and collaborative work environment
Embracing Local Talent and Expertise
At Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC), we recognize the value of local talent and expertise in driving effective humanitarian action and sustainable development. As the MEL Manager in Palestine, you will have the opportunity to leverage your knowledge of the local context, culture, and language to design and implement MEL frameworks that are contextually relevant and responsive to the needs of refugees and displaced persons. By embracing local talent and expertise, we can ensure that our programs are informed by a deep understanding of the local context, rooted in community perspectives, and tailored to the unique needs and challenges faced by Palestinian refugees and displaced persons.
Strengthening Partnerships and Collaboration
Collaboration is at the heart of our work at Norwegian Refugee Council, and as the MEL Manager in Palestine, you will have the opportunity to build strong partnerships and collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, including government agencies, UN agencies, NGOs, community-based organizations, and donors. By working in partnership with local actors, we can leverage collective expertise and resources to address the root causes of displacement, strengthen the resilience of communities, and promote sustainable solutions for refugees and displaced persons in Palestine. Strengthening partnerships and collaboration is essential for maximizing the impact of our interventions and achieving lasting change in the lives of those we serve.
Promoting Gender Equality and Inclusion
Gender equality and inclusion are fundamental principles of humanitarian action, and as the MEL Manager in Palestine, you will play a key role in promoting gender equality and inclusion in our programs and interventions. This may include designing and implementing gender-sensitive MEL frameworks, ensuring the meaningful participation of women and marginalized groups in MEL processes, and integrating gender analysis into our monitoring, evaluation, and learning activities. By promoting gender equality and inclusion, we can ensure that our programs are responsive to the diverse needs and priorities of all beneficiaries, and contribute to empowering women and marginalized groups to participate fully in decision-making processes and access opportunities for growth and development.
Advocating for Evidence-Based Policy and Practice
As the MEL Manager in Palestine, you will have the opportunity to advocate for evidence-based policy and practice, both within Norwegian Refugee Council and among external stakeholders. This may involve disseminating research findings, policy briefs, and advocacy materials to policymakers, government officials, and other key stakeholders to inform decision-making and shape policy agendas. By advocating for evidence-based policy and practice, we can influence systemic change, promote the adoption of best practices, and create an enabling environment for effective humanitarian action and sustainable development in Palestine.
How to Apply
If you are passionate about making a difference and meet the qualifications outlined above, we encourage you to apply for the position of MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine. Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter through the Norwegian Refugee Council website by the deadline specified. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
In conclusion, the position of MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine offers a unique opportunity to lead MEL efforts and contribute to the organization’s mission of supporting refugees and displaced persons in the region. By ensuring the quality, relevance, and effectiveness of our programs through robust monitoring, evaluation, and learning processes, you can make a meaningful impact in the lives of refugees and displaced persons and contribute to positive change in the communities we serve. If you are ready to take on this challenge, make a difference, and join a dynamic team committed to humanitarian action, we encourage you to apply for the position of MEL Manager at Norwegian Refugee Council in Palestine and be part of our journey towards a better future for all.